Forum » Test section » Lenten Season » ANGELUS
ANGELUS
sdsj-palawanDate: Monday, 2009-03-02, 2:56 PM | Message # 1
Admin
Group: Administrators
On the Role of Angels
"Let Us Call Upon Them Often"

VATICAN CITY, MARCH 1, 2009 (Zenit.org).- Here is a translation of the address
Benedict XVI delivered today before praying the midday Angelus with those gathered
in St. Peter's Square.* * *

Dear Brothers and Sisters!

Today is the First Sunday of Lent, and the Gospel, with the sober and concise style
of St. Mark, introduces us to the climate of this liturgical season: "The Spirit
drove Jesus out into the desert, and he remained in the desert for 40 days, tempted
by Satan" (Mark 1:12). In the Holy Land, west of the Jordan and the oasis of
Jericho, there is the desert of Judah, which ascends to a height of over 1,000
meters through rocky valleys, stretching all the way to Jerusalem.

After having received baptism from John, Jesus enters that empty place, led by the
Holy Spirit himself, which had descended upon him, consecrating him and revealing
him as the Son of God. In the desert, the place of trial -- as the experience of the
people of Israel shows -- there appears the dramatic reality of the "kenosis," the
emptying of Christ, who is stripped of the form of God (cf. Philippians 2:6-7). He,
who did not sin and cannot sin, submits himself to trial and thus can have
compassion for our infirmities (cf. Hebrews 4:15). He lets himself be tempted by
Satan, the adversary, who had opposed himself to God's salvific plan for men from
the very beginning.

In the brevity of the account, in the face of this obscure and darksome figure who
dares to tempt the Lord, the angels, luminous and mysterious figures, fleetingly
appear. The Gospel says that the angels "serve" Jesus (Mark 1:13); they are the
counterpoint to Satan. "Angel" means "one who is sent." We find these figures
throughout the Old Testament who help and guide men in the name of God. Just
consider the Book of Tobit, in which the figure of the angel Raphael appears to
assist the protagonist through many vicissitudes. The reassuring presence of the
angel of the Lord accompanies the people of Israel through every event, good and
bad. On the threshold of the New Testament, Gabriel is sent to announce to Zachariah
and Mary the joyous happenings that are the beginnings of our salvation; and an
angel, whose name is not mentioned, warns Joseph, directing him in that moment of
uncertainty. A chorus of angels reports the glad tidings of Jesus' birth to the
shepherds, as the glad
tidings of his resurrection will also be announced by angels to the women. At the
end of time the angels will accompany Jesus in his glorious return (cf. Matthew
25:31).

The angels serve Jesus, who is certainly superior to them, and this dignity of his
is proclaimed in a clear though discreet way here in the Gospel. Indeed, even in the
situation of extreme poverty and humility, when he is tempted by Satan, he remains
the Son of God, the Messiah, the Lord.

Dear brothers and sisters, we would take away a significant part of the Gospel if we
left aside these beings sent by God to announce his presence among us and be a sign
of that presence. Let us call upon them often, that they sustain us in the task of
following Jesus to the point of identifying ourselves with him. Let us ask them,
especially today, to watch over me and my co-workers in the Roman Curia as we begin
our retreat this week, as we do every year. Mary, Queen of Angels, pray for us!

[Translation by Joseph G. Trabbic]

[The Holy Father then greeted the people in several languages. In English, he said:]

I am happy to greet all the English-speaking visitors present at today's Angelus
prayer. On this First Sunday of Lent, the Gospel of Saint Mark speaks of Jesus being
lead into the desert by the Holy Spirit, tempted by Satan and assisted by the
angels. Let us pray that our Lenten journey will strengthen us in the struggle
against all forms of temptation. Upon all of you I invoke God's abundant blessings,
and I wish you a pleasant Sunday and a happy stay in Rome!

© Copyright 2009 -- Libreria Editrice Vaticana

chrisnaDate: Wednesday, 2009-03-18, 9:15 AM | Message # 2
Private
Group: Users
thumb thumb thumb thumb v v v

Forum » Test section » Lenten Season » ANGELUS
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright Seminario de San Jose © 2024
Free web hostinguCoz